Sunday, June 28, 2009

2467 Reaper

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead.)

-----------------------------

Honest! I swear the quotes heading these posts are random! I set up draft posts, about ten at a time, sequentially prenumbered, containing the quotes taken in order from a list on my hard disk. They sit out there in the Blogger dashboard post list waiting for me to fill in the text. It blows my mind when I have a topic in mind for a post, I open the next draft, and the quote at the top appears to apply to the topic.

Kinda like horoscopes, I guess.

--------------------------

My first notice that Michael Jackson had died came in an email from The Man, commenting that with Ed, Farrah, and Michael, the Reaper seemed to be working overtime. My response was not overtime. Same hours as usual. The rest of us just don't get noticed.

"Sunday Morning" (CBS) did a good job this morning with all three. They also mentioned how the internet was instrumental in getting the news out all over the world within minutes. They compared the effect of the news of Michael Jackson's death to other "untimely" deaths in the past - Rudolph Valentino, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, etc. (I was surprised that they didn't mention Princess Diana) - and how it hits some people so hard because fans sometimes feel an intimate connection.

I was in psychotherapy when Elvis died, and in our session a day or two after, Dr. K. asked how I felt about it. I shrugged and said, it's the end of a phase. We can all grow up now. He was very surprised by that answer, and I'm not sure why.

Poor Michael never did grow up. I said to The Man that Michael died 30 years ago. It just took this long for his body to catch up. I've spent the past 30+ years feeling sorry for him. Maybe now he has found gentle peace.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard Elvis died. It didn't make me sad. Princess Diana, otoh, oh, I wept for days. I think it was just left over grief from my mother's death.

I will shed not one tear for Billy Mays, though. Sad to say, it's a relief.