Friday, July 04, 2008

1897 The flowers are trying

Friday, July 4, 2008

That section where I had planted the wildflower seeds? Where I got all upset a few weeks ago when the guys MOWED! the sprouting flowers? The flowers are trying.

I could hardly believe my eyes this afternoon when I saw tiny California Poppies. The red blossoms are between a half inch and three-quarters of an inch wide, on stems perhaps three inches tall, covering the planted area. They should be two feet tall with palm-sized blossoms, but I'm sure they're poppies. Accidentally bonsai'd poppies, I guess. I recognize the leaves and flowers.

So I looked harder, and there are four more types of plants flowering, some yellow, two kinds of white, some blue. They're all so tiny it's hard to tell what they are, but I'm so proud of them anyway. They're really determined.

But, um, that was supposed to be a shade mix. Poppies?
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

You're growing your own opium?