Thursday, July 03, 2008

1895 Got a Shock

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Here I've been waiting and waiting for that economic stimulus check that "most Americans" will get, being such a good economic stimulator myself and all, and finally I went to https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/IRServlet?app=IRACTC&selectLanguage=en to see if I could figure out when I'd be getting the stimulus check.

This is the answer I got:

  • "You did not qualify for the Stimulus payment because your Adjusted Gross Income was too high."

Huh?

So I researched. My adjusted gross household income is only a hair above the middle of the charts, which isn't all that high when you consider all the folks toward the bottom with zero income. A family of four would have difficulty on my adjusted gross income. I'm comfortable because about a third of my income is from tax free investments, which aren't included in the adjusted gross (I don't think, unless The Angel screwed it up), and my house is paid off.

So does this mean half the households don't get a check? If you listen to all the taking heads, they make it sound like everybody but CEO-types, that top 3% who earn half the total, would get something.

I don't understand.

[I'm not the only one. Piper thinks he's getting a check, too, and his income is five times mine.]
.

No comments: