Monday, June 30, 2008

1885 Bloomers

Monday, June 30, 2008

The ladies on The View today were all upset about sexy clothing in little-girl sizes. Like low-slung panties for wearing with low-rider jeans, or jeans with "Cutie" across the rear end. (Whoopie sensibly pointed out that if nobody bought them, nobody would sell them.)

I was reminded of my middle-school years in Ottawa, Canada, 1954 to 1958.

The other girls in my class were fascinated by my American underwear. I wore ordinary waist-to-crotch fitted cotton knit panties. They all wore bloomers, very baggy full woven cotton or fine wool knit pants that went from the waist to just above or below the knee. Like short harem pants.

They thought my underpants were incredibly daring. Scandalous, even.

(The bloomers above are available at http://www.crimsongypsy.com/bloomers.htm.)
.

4 comments:

Chris said...

And I thought this post was about flowers.

Personally, I want to go get a pair of full length red long johns with the rear "escape hatch" and wear them to the gym just to watch people's expressions when I change in the locker room.

~~Silk said...

Chris - why wait for the locker room? Wear them with cutoff shorts!

Christine Dempsey said...

Crimson Gypsy Designs makes bloomers just like that - www.crimsongypsy.com/bloomers.htm

~~Silk said...

Christine - cool. I changed the entry to give a little free advertising to the gypsy. (I hope that's ok.)