Saturday, December 20, 2008

2174 Wanted: One Inexpensive But Good Arsonist

Saturday, December 20, 2008

I saw a print ad for a cell phone service, offering "unlimited double minutes for life". I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

-------------------------------

The folks across the street had a trailer, and every time they backed the trailer out of the driveway, they bashed my mailbox (and not once offered to fix it). Well, this summer they sold the house and moved. I was relieved. Maybe the new folks would be more careful.

Yeah, sure.

My mailbox is now so bent the door won't stay closed. I am furious! A few days ago the guy across the street was backing his SUV out just as I was getting home, so I drove up my drive very slowly, and watched out the rearview mirror. Even aware I was right there, he missed the mailbox by about two inches.

I don't understand. It's a two lane street! A full two lanes! But when they back out, they don't start the turn until the FRONT of the car passes the end of their driveway, so the back corner of the vehicle is aimed straight for my mailbox.

Yesterday I cleared a long swath of town-plow-dumped snow from in front of the mailbox so I could get today's mail. Imagine my joy to discover this morning that whoever had cleared the driveway across the street dumped several plow-loads of snow RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY MAILBOX!!!! They shot up the driveway, across the street, and pushed it right up against my mailbox.

They had a tree down in the ice storm, so the dumped snow was full of stout branches. I couldn't use the snowthrower. I SHOVELED it!

I am so very very angry, and I don't know what to do about it.
.

3 comments:

Chris said...

You should coat your mailbox with a guady color of cheap paint so it will rub off on their car each time they bump it?

Contact explosives would be useful too; however, using them voids your double minutes for life plan!

Kate said...

Maybe you should welcome them to the neigborhood with a laxative-laden casserole (uh, just kidding).

Maybe it's just my training as an EMT, but I always back into my driveway so that I can leave quickly and easily. It's twice as dangerous for them to back across two lanes of traffic, don't understand it.

~~Silk said...

Kate - There is NO traffic. It's a .2 mile long rural dead-end road, houses are well-spaced on one to two acre lots, and we are the last two houses before the large open circle at the end. There's one house off that circle, on 100+ acres. The only traffic would be coming to or from one of our houses, plus mail, garbage, and school bus.