Friday, December 19, 2008

2172 Arachnid Threads

Friday, December 19, 2008

It's funny how things seem to happen in threes.

(1.) I was reading something this afternoon that Daughter had written for me a few years ago for Mother's Day:

A Note to Mother

Your creation. A spin-through of life, sparkling and opalescent the ether of all at once through time, the unseen represented by our present and our past and our future

Your gift. Knitting an afghan of caught slivers, first polishing the shards of insight to a safe warm dust, the yarn a maternal arachnid thread

My gratitude. A celebration of your existence and how it has shaped mine

*Copyright Daughter, all rights reserved*

(2.) One of the segments of "Dateline NBC" tonight is titled something having to do with a spider. They had a spider crawling up the screen. It made me shiver.

(3.) It took me three hours to clear the driveway, and then I was leaning out the door between the laundry room and the garage, pushing buttons to close the overhead doors, when Miss Thunderfoot slipped past me. I dove for her and caught her as she was about to disappear between boxes, and we both came up covered in spiderwebs. It was only later that discovered that I had brown spider egg-cases all over me. Ack! Brown Recluse spider egg-cases are brown. All I need is to have poisonous spiders hatching in the warmth of the house, in my bedroom! Ack ack ack! I picked them off with tissue and flushed them. I hope I got them all.

That's three. That's the end, right? RIGHT!?
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

That spider freaked me out at first too! It was that part about the man and woman that killed her husband, I think.

I also hate that exterminator commercial that has roaches crawl on the screen.