Thursday, August 16, 2007

1440 Dinner Talk

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I arrived at the mall a bit early for dinner, so I did some shopping. Bought (among other things) two black bras. Neither of them are the right size (that's why I don't HAVE any black bras, Daughter! They never seem to have any in my size) but I won't wear them very often, so they'll do.

Dinner was Roman, me, Bill, and The Ditz. I swear someone must have smacked The Ditz upside the head or something. She was reasonable again. Oddly, general conversation seemed to settle on "cats we have known". Really deep Mensan conversation....

At the buffet, I noticed a man looking at me, "that" look. I looked away, then looked back, and he was still looking, and he smiled and said hello, and I said hello, then I walked over to him and said "Do I know you?" (Well, he was cute!) Turns out he had the office next to mine over twenty years ago. Chatted. He asked if I still worked for The Company, and I said no, I had quit when I married Jay - and was amused by the reaction. He immediately deflated, lost interest.

I didn't clarify. I don't need complications.

But he sure was good looking.

As usual, Roman and I stayed at the table to talk after the others left.

He invited me to go to Israel with him in late November or early December. His daughter lives there. I didn't know what to say. I want to go. He's the perfect person to go with. But we have this awkwardness right now. Finally I said I'd love to go, but "You understand, it would be separate rooms. In fact, it's possible I will have made a commitment to someone else by then." I'm serious about commitments. He said that would be fine.

Oh dear. What now. What next.
I don't need complications.
But I also think we really could do it platonically. He knows how much he hurt me in 2005 and 2006, and he does feel bad about it, and I think he will be very careful now. Plus, we will have his daughter as a chaperone. And I'm not exactly a pushover.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Go to Israel. Keep those separate rooms. But go!

Kate said...

Sounds exciting! I hope you don't mind, but I linked to you today. Let me know if you want the link taken down.