Thursday, August 16, 2007

1439 Kitty Update

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jasper had his first vet appointment today. He got his ears, teeth, and coat checked, and it's all ok. His FIV and leukemia tests were negative, and he got a dose of roundworm killer. He weighs seven pounds! Shocker - he's so small, but it's all bone and muscle, I guess. (When I hold him against my chest, his bottom is on my breast and his shoulders are at my shoulder. I'm used to cats that reach to my waist.)

I told Dr. Tucker about his having been feral, and she was surprised that he was so well behaved. We had a moment of panicked scrabbling when he first came out of the carrier, but even then he was careful of the claws, and calmed down quickly. Dr. T. said she can tell he trusts me by the look on his face. When I was holding him, there was no panic.

She said he's probably just short of a year old. I'm not so sure. I was surprised at how much he'd grown in just the past two and a half weeks. I put him in the same small carrier I'd used to bring him home the night we caught him, and back then he was a mite in all that space. Standing, his ears didn't touch the roof. Today he barely fit. His back was only two inches from the roof. So, really, I still want to put him at about six months. Maybe as much as nine, maybe. But no more.

Third Thursday dinner tonight.
.

No comments: