Sunday, November 30, 2008

2139 The Incident - Part 3 of 3

Sunday, November 30, 2008

(Read 2134, Part 1 and 2136, Part 2 first.)

In 1966 it was next to impossible to make a rape charge stick without witnesses ((unless the guy was black, the only human less believable than a woman, nice period in our history)). In most states, if the guy was white, a woman needed a minimum of two witnesses. Even if she had witnesses, her demeanor, clothing, makeup, and sexual history were pertinent to the case, even though the man's were not. The second wave of feminists got us a lot more than almost equal pay, folks. The only way we were more free then than many of the world's currently "oppressed" women is that we didn't have the burka.

In those days, "date rape" didn't exist. There was no such thing. If she knew the guy, and was with him willingly, then it wasn't rape. She obviously led him on, she wanted it or she wouldn't have been with him, and if she yelled rape after, it's just because she's mad at him. All rapes were violent by definition, and by strangers, and if the woman wasn't badly injured, then it was all her fault because she didn't fight hard enough. After all, we all know "a man can't run with his pants around his ankles." She would get no sympathy from anyone. This is absolutely true. Women didn't report rape because they'd be torn to shreds if they did.

As the deputy had pointed out, the desk clerks would testify that I went to the room with him willingly. I didn't need to think about that. It was just the way it was. I had bruises. No broken bones, no cuts, no bullets. A few chunks of hair missing. End of story. Stand up and move on.

I had completely forgotten about Jean. Didn't think of her until Saturday morning, when I realized I needed to talk with someone. I needed support and sympathy. I also needed to apologize for leaving her in the lurch.

As it turned out, she had arrived at the hotel only a few minutes after I'd left the bar. Believe it or not, before she even sat down, her brother showed up, and she left with him. She thought I was late, so she'd left a note with the bartender (who denied I'd been there), to tell me she'd found a ride. She asked me why I was late.

I said, "Well, Deputy So-and-so ....", and I got only that far when she laughed, "Oh, Deputy Dawg! Yeah, I can see why he'd slow you down. Every woman in town gets hassled by him if she's alone in a car at night. The SOB tries to get sex services in exchange for dropping bogus charges. Everybody knows about him. He stopped So-and-so just the other night, and when he made her get out of the car and grabbed her breasts, she kicked him in the crotch. I don't know why he thinks he can get away with it. Well, it's ok. I got home. Sorry it was a problem for you."

I was stunned. I didn't tell her what happened. How stupid I had been.

So it really was all my fault?

I crashed and burned. "They" were right. This was the proof. I was stupid. I couldn't do anything right, and others could tell that just by looking at me. That's how he knew he could get away with it. That's why whoever had called him to the hotel knew that, too. It was all my fault. There's something very wrong with me, and everyone can see it.

I lost me for the next fifteen years.

---------------------

The first ten years were very bad. I was raped (technically) more times than I care to count, and it didn't take physical violence to do it. I thought it was pretty much my lot in life. Like that was my role, to be the victim. Somebody has to do it. What's weird is that there are men who make it a habit to victimize women, and those men can unerringly identify women who can be used - the naive or needy women who need only a few kind words to turn their heads, and then are easily coerced. Like wolves can sniff out rabbits. They know exactly the right words to say, precisely how to defuse her feeble defenses.

What you need to understand is that I, my mother, and my siblings were all regularly brutally beaten by my father, told how stupid and useless we were, how everything that happened to us was our own fault, and we deserved it. I'd been beaten to unconsciousness many times. My next younger brother and I tried to get help - police, teachers, doctors - and we were always told "just don't make him mad". Which was a way of telling us that it was our own fault. Note that "domestic violence" wasn't known then - the term didn't even exist as a concept. The prevailing social attitude was that a man had a right to beat his wife and children to "keep them in line", and in fact even had a responsibility to do so. If a man didn't beat his family, it was because they were well behaved.

In high school, outside of the home, I had a pretty good life. I had good friends, and dated some nice boys, and none of them ever acted even remotely like my father. In 1966, in that small town, where I was liked, and appreciated, and successful, I thought maybe I was not stupid, not useless, that maybe I did deserve a good life. Maybe I could really do it. Maybe my father was wrong.

And then the deputy, the symbol of town authority, took that silly dream away from me. Over the next decade I met many men like him. Most were more subtle. They'd tell me they liked me. I'd think they liked me. They didn't. They just wanted to get me alone, just once. And then they'd say, I heard it over and over so it must have been true, right?, "You wanted it. You know you wanted it. You can't walk around looking like that and not want it."

I looked and smelled like rabbit.

I spent much of my adult life afraid of men. I was deathly afraid of angering men. I acted, behaved, became whatever seemed to elicit approval from men. I lost myself.

I was 37 years old before I figured out that it wasn't me, that I was neither bad nor stupid and never have been, that the problem was all in them, they were the bad people, and yes I was wrong to believe them, but that's the only way I was wrong.

The real me, the me I am inside, is pretty darn ok.

Since that realization, no man has coerced me, physically or mentally, into doing anything I myself didn't choose to do. I have been lied to by men, and misled, and taken advantage of, but that's different, because there was a grudging acknowledgment of equality in there. That's human, not rabbit, so that's ok.
.

7 comments:

the queen said...

Oooo- my sympathy is overtaken by my rage. AND your Dad was wrong and Jean, don't even get me started on Jean. And frankly, you didn't do anything wrong by feeling you were stupid- otherwise, the disabled and the mentally challenged would be "asking for it" too.

My only sexual assault (if you dont count Boyfriend Joey and his grabby hands) came from some teenage prick on a bike who saw me walking home from school and grabbed my breasts. I hit him, then he pedalled away and then came back and I hit him again. The woman who kicked the deputy in the balls wasn't a victim either, and she probably got raped just as bad afterward.

I mean, I know the point of rape is to make you ashamed, but it's just infuriating that it works. Fuckers.

Did you ever google Deputy Dawg to see if he got his comeuppance one day? I hope he did, and I hope he and his family were ashamed.

~~Silk said...

I've blocked Deputy Dawg's name. I could probably do a little research and find out, he was the only local cop in town in those days, but there's no point. I heard a few years later, after I'd moved away, that he had been fired by the county for misconduct (ironically involving money, NOT a woman). He probably moved away then. He had no family.

PDX Granny said...

After reading about your experience, I have so many emotions churning inside. I feel so sorry for what you went thru as a young woman, and so proud that you were able to come to the understanding that what happened 10 years earlier had nothing to do with who you are. I applaud you for talking about it now. I'm sure it must have been difficult, and probably brought out emotions you'd rather not have to deal with.

I'd like to think that we, as women, have come a long way since those earlier days. But I'm not so sure that we really have. There are still so many of us that haven't yet accepted that what was done to us was not of our own doing. It's easy to say we know it, but deep down inside, there's always that nagging feeling that we brought it on ourselves.

I tried to raise my daughter with a strong sense of self, and instill in her the realization that she was a strong person who could stand up for herself. However, when she was in college, I found out she had been in an emotionally abusive relationship in high school that ended when some of his friends had to pull him off of her as he was strangling her. When talking about this she told me that she put up with so much because she thought she was so much in love with him and wanted to please him.

After hearing about this several years later, I wondered where I had gone wrong. I raised her as a single mom, since her dad walked out on us when she was two months old. We have always had a closing and loving relationship. There was no physical or verbal abuse in our home. But, I had my own ghosts to deal with, and maybe passed on some of those to her without realizing it.

~~Silk said...

Granny - Don't blame yourself for your daughter's, um, episode. One thing I've learned is that feelings have nothing to do with logic. She probably knew from you that she was strong, but she also knew that if she didn't please a man, he'd leave, like her own father left her, because she didn't please him enough (remember - no logic allowed). Sigh.

Kate said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think too many times it's easy to think of horrible traumas as being isolating events, but in your case and I'm sure for many others, there are lasting consequences of rape. The long-term damage that this guy did is almost worse than the act itself.

Christine Dempsey said...

Wow, I don't even know what to say. You're an amazing person now, and even though that was an unfortunate experience, you're stronger and smarter and better because of it.

meb said...

I don't know why I've never come to your site previsously Silk... I see you on Jackies on occasion, but I just never clicked on your name. I don't know what to say except that I'm so sorry and sad that you had to endure all these things in your life. I hope the deputy was ultimately discovered as a rapist and that he had to pay for his crime.

You have obviously been able to go on with your life, and I know it couldn't be easy. I'm sure that certain things ahppen which are always a nagging reminder of the trauma you have dealt with.

I applaud you in so many ways for being able to tell your story. It's encouraging I'm sure to those women who were like you in personality and now know they can change... they don't have to feel the underdog...

Thanks for sharing your story(ies). Again, you are a fantastic woman who has risen above all the hurt you have endured. Good for you!!!!

God Bless You!