Saturday, November 29, 2008

2138 PBS Thud

Saturday, November 29, 2008

This one's on me.

I was watching the Schenectady PBS (WMHT) station this afternoon. They had the Barbara Sher "Creating Your Second Life After 40" lectures on. She's very funny, and she makes a lot of good points. She's been on before, but I never have time to watch the whole thing.

I decided to search and see if there was a DVD or CD available somewhere. There is, but only through the PBS station. They're running their pledge drive right now, and the DVD is one of the gifts. I intensely dislike the drives. The breaks they take are too long, and it feels like they're harassing me, and I rarely watch PBS during the drives (and I'm not alone, which is possibly why they have difficulty getting pledges, they ought to just sell the DVDs and stop annoying us). Anyway, I shrugged and went to the website, signed up, paid with a credit card, and ordered the DVD.

So this evening, there's nothing on any other commercial station, but Vicar of Dibley was on PBS, so that's where I went.

When I found that they were still interrupting for the drive, I was very indignant. Hey, I PAID! Didn't you even NOTICE?! I shouldn't still be exposed to this harangue! What IS this crap?! I really was mad. I felt disrespected.

Oops. Thud. Is this what they mean by feeling grandiose, or omnipotent? Um, guilty....
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

They should develop "pay-per-not view" technology, in which once you pay, the digital transmission is stripped of the shake down portion of the show:)