Monday, December 01, 2008

2141 Wolves. Do They Still Exist?

Monday, December 1, 2008

In an earlier post, I used the phrase "like wolves can sniff out rabbits" to refer to men who victimize women. That kicked off a thought.

Prior to Germaine Greer, Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem (whom a lot of people thought I looked like back then) and all the rest, men who sexually preyed on women were called "wolves". Like the new secretary at work would be advised to avoid talking with George, the salesman, because "He's a wolf." That was the term back then, and it most definitely was not a term of respect.

Women used the word "wolf". Men mostly didn't. One man would rarely refer to another as a wolf.

Nowadays, the term seems to be "player" (I guess, I confess I'm not up on the current terminology).

There are two big differences between now and then, the '60s. "Player" implies more of an equality between the player and playee than "wolf" does. It implies that women do have more power than they used to have. That's good. Second, although men back then didn't refer to another as a wolf, they now will call another man a player - and the sad part is that there's an element of envy and respect when they do. That's very sad.

I get annoyed when young women refer to themselves or each other as "chicks". It's easy to figure out why it bothers me.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I see "player" as being a sleezeball, male or female. I think "player" does equate to "wolf" because it indicates "someone got played".

Is it still ok to refer to a sexy person as "foxy" ? I haven't heard that term in a coon's age, outside of listening to a Hendrix cd.