Friday, August 29, 2008

1980 Dating Thoughts

Friday, August 29, 2008

A certain early-20's-something blogger (a very nice-looking, intelligent, funny guy) has decided to try online dating, and has put his proposed profile out for comment. Almost all his 35 commenters have told him not to mention booze and bars so much. It sounds like that's his main interest in life.

Having read his blog for the past year, I'm aware that he has other interests, but bars and booze do seem to be the only way he knows to socialize. That means most of the girls he's been meeting are also boozers and barflies. I'm not surprised that nothing works out. I recommended that perhaps he needs not to change his profile, but to change his lifestyle. Other social activities might yield and ultimately attract more of the kind of women he wants to meet.

That got me thinking about how I've met most of the men in my life, and how would I go about meeting a man now (if I were in the market, that is).

I'd never realized it before, but ALL of the relationships I've had that were at least temporarily satisfying were with men I met either through work, or through Mensa.

With the guys I met "on the street", so to speak, it seems like right from the start it was work keeping it going. Of course there was something about him that attracted me, and kept me trying, but there was a lot of head butting and eye rolling on both sides until finally I (or he, but usually I) gave up.

I think it was a matter of similar experiences, education, taste, opinion, and values. I think I was more likely to find that similarity in a coworker or Mensan.

Interesting.

(Of course, it's possible I'm just too demanding and stubborn, and will compromise only so far, but I like me that way.)
.

6 comments:

Becs said...

It's just not worth it. Srsly.

So@24 said...

Alright alright alright.

I toned down the booze stuff... check out the next post and let me know what you think.

I think it's because it's so much easier to crack jokes about booze and getting drunk; which is why I make reference to it all the time. Maybe it's because it weeds out the girls who take themselves too seriously or whatever?

Anyway, a post dedicated to my plight! I'm flattered! Thanks for helping me out

Unknown said...

I worry that I go out too much, too, but really I don't know where to meet guys... I am a teacher in a school where there are NO single men- they are all married! And my church has no people my age that are single that i'm attracted to.. its hard..
Actually, the guy i've been seeing here latly is someone I went to high school with, but we re-met each other at a wedding and then at a bar... hopefully things will go well!

Christine Dempsey said...

All of the men I've had long-term relationships with since after high school I have met through mutual friends at parties or some other private social function. Interesting, no one was trying to set me up. I just met people and we hit it off...

~~Silk said...

Something and Christine - in both your cases, you second my theory that having common values and experience is important. I've decided that common interests are not so important if you are willing to share them.

~~Silk said...

Emily - I hope you can come back and read this. Where's your blog? I haven't seen anything on Bloglines since late June. I kept a copy of the poem you wrote, by the way. If you've gone beyond the topic of the last blog, perhaps you would consider a poetry blog? Occasional entries when you feel moved. Let me know if you start up again.