Saturday, June 14, 2008

1854 My Basement Is Cool!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

I've got an antique Harley in my basement! I'm sitting here wondering who I can call and freak out.

Actually, it isn't mine. It'll be gone by Monday afternoon.

I was going through the village this morning on my way to the recycle center, and I saw a (tall and very handsome, but that has nothing to do with it) black guy in full leathers sitting on a Harley, stopped in an odd spot on the side of the road, looking very consternated.

Coming back from recycling, I passed him again, a block down from the first spot, in front of the Stewarts, pacing back and forth and talking on a cell phone.

So I got to thinking. If The Man were broken down in the village, it might be a bit difficult for him to get help, being twice a stranger, so I turned around and went back, and asked if he needed anything. He belongs to a Harley club that, like AAA, will send assistance, tow, etc., so he thought he'd be ok. Someone was going to come and take the motorcycle to a shop in Kingston. We chatted a bit, and I left him my number just in case. He said he'd call and let me know when he was sure he was ok.

Pretty soon I got a call. The Kingston tow guy arrived, but they don't work on antiques, so they wanted to take it to Woodstock, and the biker, who is from Westchester, thought that was too far away, so he asked me if I knew of anyone who would allow him to store it in a garage or shed or something until he could pick it up on Monday.

I've got a sliding glass door to the basement. They brought it in a big trailer. So, I have a big black antique Harley in my basement. How cool is that?

I've been on the phone with his wife (phooey!), giving her directions to the Stewarts so she can come and pick him up.
.

No comments: