Wednesday, June 11, 2008

1849 2007 Taxes

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Boring. Reread that top bar. This whole thing serves as my notes to me, you know (and to keep Daughter apprised as to my sanity).

I finally got my 2007 tax forms from Piper today. I had given him the 2007 folder before mid-April, but The Angel, the CPA, was a bit overwhelmed, so he had applied for an extension for me (I guess he figured it was ok because I am "a friend of the firm". Piper got extended, too). Then they kept promising and promising, and it kept getting put off for one reason after another, but they were aware I was running out of patience, so today they produced.

Angel has already e-filed both federal and state, before I had a chance to review it, which annoys the hell out of me. I wish he wouldn't do that.

It took me about 30 seconds to notice that he hadn't listed my Company retirement as income. I have income from several different sources, but the ones that get their own lines are the SS widow's pension, and the Company retirement, and it's rather obvious when it isn't there. There were two 1099s from The Company in the file I had given him, one was my retirement income, and the other is my (tiny) widow's share of Jay's retirement, and he apparently used the smaller one and dismissed the second much larger one as a copy of the first without looking at it.

Then I looked at the state business sales tax filings, and noticed that I was being charged a $50 penalty for late filing. Bull poopy. I gave him the materials in plenty of time. If it was filed late, The Angel will have to pay the penalty. Piper agreed with me on that.

I am not happy. He's going to have to file an amended return, and I STILL don't have my final numbers.
.

No comments: