Friday, April 25, 2008

1781 PETV !!!

Friday, April 25, 2008

I'm serious here. I'm not joking. I really do feel this way.

I understand and sympathize with vegetarians (or vegans) who don't want to cause suffering to animals. However, there's a fallacy in their argument. They seem to think that it's ok to rip the arms off a living broccoli plant, just because they can't hear the screams.

It's ok to throw a living carrot into boiling water, just because it can't writhe?

It's ok to chop a living cabbage, just because it can't escape the knife?

It's ok to grind the babies of a wheat plant, just because the mother can't cry?

Plants are every bit as alive as animals. They just don't have a face or a voice, so that makes it ok to torture them?

If you want to really avoid suffering to living things, then you should eat only fruit, which a plant produces with the hope that something will eat it. And then to fulfill the deal with the plant, you should poop in fertile soil.

I am a proud member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Vegetables.
"We can no longer hide from the eyes of Potatoes, or the ears of Corn."
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_047.html

(Yeah, ok, they're joking. And I still eat broccoli and meat. But I really have apologized to the broccoli in my garden as I cut its arms off. I hope I've been forgiven my hunger.)

Oh, I didn't even get into antibiotic soaps! If you really think about it, you'll realize that bacteria and other single-celled organisms are God's favorites. We, and everything else, are nothing but germ food.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I'm a second hand vegetarian. The animals I eat were all vegetarians:)

If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste like meat:)