Monday, April 21, 2008

1774 Shoes

Monday, April 21, 2008

It was 2 or 3 years ago that I cleared out the shoe closet, and threw out or donated almost 200 pairs, some of which were 30 years old, and many of which I hadn't worn since I retired.

I think I may have an addiction. I've been buying shoes again.

I don't pay a lot for shoes. I buy at places like Shoe Town, regular retail stores when they have big sales, and on eBay.

I wear a small size, 5.5, not a popular size, so when I find shoes I like, I can often get them at a deeper discount than more saleable sizes.

Well, usually size 5.5. I have a very high instep, so if the shoe goes high over the instep, like these silver sandals, I need a 6.

One of my favorite shoe makers is Candies (the two pairs of sandals shown here are actual Candies I bought recently on eBay. I paid $10 for the black ones). When you buy shoes online, you have to know exactly what will fit comfortably and what won't. Candies can be tricky for the novice. They run about one full size small, so I'd take a 6.5 or 7. Unfortunately, the sellers often know they run small, too, so they'll list a size 8 as a 7, and if I buy those, they'll be way too big. You have to send the seller a note and ask.

My best purchase arrived in the mail today. I got some new-in-the-box leather air-sole Dr. Martens boots, $125 MSRP, for $5 plus $11 shipping. The photo is the boot I bought. These came from a major (400+ sales a day) shoe store on eBay.

That shoe store is one of my favorite lurking spots. When an auction ends with no action, they relist the item, with a lower starting bid. The smaller sizes don't sell well, so I just watch and wait until the opening bid drops to below $5, then I pounce.

I've decided not to feel guilty. I can have 100 pairs of shoes for what Carrie on "Sex and the City" paid for two pairs of her fragile Manolo Blahniks.
.

No comments: