Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1653 Busy with bylaws

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I've been busier the past two days than I've been in ages. I had a lunch meeting with the chairman of the bylaws revision committee yesterday, and presented my comments on the "final draft" of the local Mensa bylaws. He found out why the design and publications departments of 35 products in 5 labs of The Company quaked in their boots when I reviewed their specifications and publications. I am detail-oriented and thorough. Also merciless.

The result is that he assigned me the final rewrite (which included rewording of two full sections), and also to present the changes and rationale to the board at Sunday's meeting.

I went to a group dinner last night, and started the rewrite after I got home.

He had been using Microsoft Office, which I don't have, so I retyped the entire 7-page document in Works Word (not so many functions, but adequate to the task, and available on most systems), made all the changes and corrections, sent copies to the other committee members for comment, and then incorporated their comments this evening.

I won't be able to go to the Sunday board meeting (I hope to be in NJ having fun), so I also wrote a description of all changes made, and the philosophy and rationale for each of the changes.

We have decided we can't call it amendments. It really is a complete rewrite. I'm rather proud of it. What we started with was unbelievably bad, full of inconsistencies and impossibilities. I don't know how it ever got approved.

I have a feeling of accomplishment, something I haven't felt in a long time.
.

No comments: