Tuesday, January 22, 2008

1652 Rude Awakening

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I was dragged into a groggily awake state early this morning by Jasper leaping and bouncing all over my feet and lower legs.

I sleep on the "girl side" of my bed. The "boy side" is usually loaded with books, mending, an overnight case midway between packed and unpacked, you know, the usual stuff.

Miss Thunderfoot and Jasper have reached a sort of truce as far as the bed is concerned. Miss Thunderfoot sleeps at my upper chest level on the boy side, and Jasper "sleeps" (does he ever sleep?) on the far side of my ankles on the girl side.

I wasn't annoyed when he woke me. He's still a little kid, and I enjoy his energy, and he seemed to be having so much fun, so I just glanced down to make sure he hadn't pulled something out of the overnight case to shred. Without my glasses on it looked like he was playing with his sock, so I went back into a doze.

Then he stopped leaping around and settled down, and I started to drift off ...

... a few minutes ...

...when I was jerked awake by that "Kak kak KAK KaaaaaK!" sound that all cat owners know and dread.

I sat up just in time to see him throw up - kaaaakuk! - a mouse head. A HEAD! Just the head!

Followed by - kaaaakuk! - the rest of the mouse.

Followed by - kaaaakuk! - what had been inside the now deconstructed mouse.

On my BED! On my LEG!

Kak!

------------------------------

Could have been worse, I guess. In the 80's I had a cat who, almost every morning, placed MOST of a mouse on my pillow for me to find when I awoke. Proof that she loved me, you know.

After I convinced her that her providing breakfast was very nice thank you, but I don't much care for breakfast in bed, she would put the gifts in my shoes. She had an uncanny knack for knowing exactly which pair of shoes I planned to wear to work that day. I guess I was supposed to take it to work with me for a mid-morning snack.

No, you can't scold a cat for that. Sharing really IS proof that she loves you.
.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I think the mouse head was a threat....kind of like the horse head in the bed :)

Ally said...

omg. i would not know what to do first - scream or jump out of bed. that's a new way to wake up in the morning.

Kate said...

That would definitely get my attention.

Unknown said...

ewwww!! I am so sorry- i would have cried if there was suddenly a half digested mouse on my bed. youre a brave woman.