Saturday, August 11, 2007

1430 Kitty Update / Mystery Career

Saturday, August 11, 2007

When Jasper first arrived, you couldn't pick him up at all. He fought any confining hands. I started by petting him all over, running my hands under his chest and belly. Then lifting him slightly to move him closer to food. Then lifting him completely for a second. Then lifting him to my chest while scratching his head and neck, ignoring his struggles. Then he stopped struggling, enduring patiently but not liking it. Then he seemed to sort of like it, but he didn't want me to know it.

Today he purred and relaxed while I was holding him. We're getting there. He can't meet Miss Thunderfoot until he's been to the vet, and I don't want to take him to the vet until he's comfortable with me holding him, so ... pretty soon.

----------------------------------

A friend has decided to enter a new career field. She has announced her plans in her blog, but she's being very mysterious. She'll say only that it's a 30-hour certification program at SUNY, starting in October, and that she'll have to work for someone else for a while to gain experience, then she plans to go out on her own. But she's not telling what it is because she doesn't want to hear "You can't do that!"

Anyone who knows me knows I see this as a challenge.

Hmmm. SUNY (State University of NY) online catalog. Certification courses. Thirty hours - eliminates home inspection and web design. October - eliminates some more. Something you can do "on your own" - eliminates respiration therapist and pharmaceutical assistant and a few others (unless she plans to sell drugs on street corners). One by one courses get eliminated until I'm left with Personal Trainer, and Nutritional and Wellness Consultant (which may as well be eliminated because I can't find it in the fall catalog). Both of those remaining two are ideally suited to her abilities and interests, so I can't see anyone telling her she "can't do that".

'Tis a mystery.

Guess I'll have to wait for October.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Yay, Jasper. Yay, you.

Marika said...

There's nothing like a little suspense to keep you on your toes!

Great news about Jasper - in 6 months he will be a completely different cat, I'm sure!