Tuesday, July 07, 2009

2486 Diet, Day 20 - and notes

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Roman poet Juvenal: “Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another.”

------------------

[Note - my posts are numbered sequentially.  "2486" is the sequence number of this post.  It has nothing to do with any diet by that name.]

The purpose of this exercise is not control of diabetes, even though there are diabetic meals included. I just bought those prepared meals to find out what they looked like, and to serve as a base and example. The real purpose is weight loss, to wean me off sugar and fat, to reset my metabolism - get me off "starvation mode" - and to try to build some new and moderately better habits.

I know that if I do need to control the blood sugar more rigorously, I need to do a better job of balancing carbohydrate, fat, and protein intake, which isn't easy. Restricting something is a lot easier than balancing.

It's relatively easy to lower the cholesterol intake, for example, but according to recent research, that doesn't matter all that much to the blood cholesterol levels anyway (and mine is ok).

One interesting thing, I haven't taken my Prilosec in over a week now, and I've had no acid reflux. The Prilosec was interfering with calcium uptake, which resulted in an "uh-oh" bone density scan, so this is an unplanned benefit.

What I ate yesterday:
Sanka, coffeemate vanilla sugar free
Grits, Quaker original pkg
Margarine, Promise, 1 tsp
Diabetic meal -oatmeal & baked apple
Eskimo Pie, no sugar added (can't give these up!)
Dole spring mix greens, naked, 1/3 bag
Blueberries, 1c
Eggplant parm, Celentano, 1/2 pkg.
Water & tea
The usual vitamins and minerals, not included in totals below.

Totals for yesterday:
Calories - 991 (out of 1153 allowed)
Carbs - 126 (299g allowed)
Sugar - 34g
Fiber - 19g
Fat - 49 (67g allowed)
Protein - 21 (47g allowed)
Cholesterol - 30 (297mg allowed)
Sodium - 975 (2402mg allowed)

Total weight lost since 6/17:
7.0 pounds
.

1 comment:

Astrology Realm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.