Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2313 It's a jungle out there

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Well, I went to the foolishly made lunch date today, and I'm glad I did. Of the nine or so immediate responses I got to my profile (which, by the way, was very quickly hidden) Monday night, this guy was the pick of the litter.

On the good side, you can see that in his youth he was probably quite handsome - he's still attractive around the eyes and cheeks. And I think he might even be a nice guy, in there somewhere.

He was 25 minutes late, because I didn't call him to confirm, even though I had told him several times that I would NOT call, and that I didn't need to confirm because I'd already committed, and if there was an emergency I'd email him.

When he didn't get a call, he assumed I'd canceled. Not a good listener, and perhaps lacking in confidence.

His profile put him at a bit younger than I, but I think he's actually many years older, that or he's lived a very rough life. Either his photo is not recent, or he photographs very well (which is possible, because I know I photograph badly). 90% of his conversation ran to sex. Worse, I would be talking about something, and he'd interrupt, and take it off in a sexual direction just before I got to my point. I kept bring things back to where I was, kind of like a hint, and he didn't notice. (I know I tend to take 50 words to say what could be said in 5, but if you stick with it and listen, sometimes it's worth it.)

The end result is that I know more about him than I want to, and he knows nothing about me.

Ok. I learned my lesson.

I find it difficult to say "I don't think this is going to work". The only guy I ever came right out and said that to was the one with the iron cross tattoo on the back of his hand, who said he had five piercings, and sitting across the table from him I saw none, and then I cringed.

I think he got the idea anyway. And I have a renewed appreciation for The Man. He's got everything I want; I just have to figure out how to get more of it out of him.

I don't know if I mentioned the OTHER site I played with Monday night. That one was specifically for seniors, and also required that you sign up and fill out a profile before doing a search. I'd learned my lesson on the first site. The profile I briefly had on the second site says I'm 80 years old, bald, smoke cigars, drink like a fish, and I'm looking for a rich man to pay my bills and change my dressings.

No hits on that one.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Sigh. Yes, I'd forgotten this part of it. What IS it with these guys? Srsly.

Zayrina said...

I found Santa in an MSN chat room, He nearly talked me to death the first time we met. I know I didn't get 5 words in edgewise. I am glad I hung in there a bit because once he calmed down he was able to let me talk too.