Sunday, February 01, 2009

2248 More eBay Seller Advice

Sunday, February 1, 2009

As we all know, S-M-L as sizing doesn't have a lot of meaning unless you already know the brand well, or unless it's very stretchy fabric. Most eBay sellers know that they have to actually measure clothing (bust, waist, hips, length) and put those numbers in the description. I won't buy anything without the measurements.

However, there's one thing many people seem to forget - or maybe they're not aware of it.

The distance from the shoulder to under the bust (down the front) is a LOT longer on a 40" than on a 32". If it's like 10" for a 32 then it would be like 14" for a 40, because the 40 sticks out more. Common geometry. So when you measure a fitted top, and you get 41" around, that does NOT necessarily mean it will fit a 40" bust! You need that shoulder to underbust measurement, too.

I've been lengthening the straps and shoulder pieces on a lot of fitted-top nighties lately, to drop that underseam. The sellers claimed things would fit me, but the bottom bust seam comes right across the middle, not under the bottom. Yeah, I can button the front buttons, but only if I boost the girls up until they're bumping my chin. They're too old for that kind of foolishness. Blech!

Well, at least I know what additional question to ask now.
.

2 comments:

Christine Dempsey said...

99% of people wouldn't know that, nor would they understand why something doesn't fit them if that happened.

I am a Sm/Med in the top and I find that the underbust seam on ME is often a bit too high on things that are supposed to fit my circumference measurements.

Another issue is that patterns aren't lengthened enough as they go up in size.

~~Silk said...

Heh. At 4'10" I don't mind that "not lengthened enough" part, except for that one seam.

I just bought some jeans online, and guess what? The cropped jeans in a regular, not petite, are a perfect ankle length on me.