Monday, January 12, 2009

2212 Hungry Turkeys!

Monday, January 12, 2009

The turkeys are hungry. The storm about a week or ten days ago laid down an ice layer, and I guess they're having trouble scratching through it. I cleared snow from the driveway yesterday, and in a few places I went past the edge of the driveway and cut into the crust over the grass.

This is what I found this morning:

The turkeys have been digging for good stuff, probably wild cherry pits, maybe bugs. They've dug a pretty deep trench there.

This is my foot, and turkey tracks. Those aren't the largest tracks out there, just the most clear. Some of the tracks are almost as long as my foot. They're big birds.

I'll look for cracked corn next time I'm in the village, before they dig up more of the lawn..

---------------------

I had a long list of things that had to be done today, and got very little of it done. I spent over an hour on the phone with May, trying to convince her that our friend NJ is not dying, she simply doesn't want people to know where she is (especially May, but I didn't tell her that) and that the day May called the police to go to NJ's house and ensure that she was not dead on the floor, the police did NOT "break down the door". I was there, and I know what happened. May is only 2 years older than I, but she's morbid. She's waiting to die.

She's also heard of hearing, and phone conversations with her are painful. You have to repeat yourself a lot, and you'll be in the middle of an explanation and she'll interrupt and talk over you as if you were not speaking at all. Beyond the hearing problem, I don't think she really "hears" anything, anyway. Nothing gets through or past what's already in her mind. She also tells the same stories over and over. Aaaaagh! Sometimes when she calls and I'm not in a mood to deal with her, I just let the machine pick up. I don't have to call her back, because I don't think she remembers having called.

I feel very bad about all of that, because she is, at heart, a good person, and she's so very alone. I know that if I needed help, she would do everything she could. Almost all of "the group" has pretty much shut her out already, abandoned her. Someone will say "May called yesterday...", and you'll see or hear the eyerolls. In a group, sympathy is offered. Nobody ever calls her to see how she is. I hate the whole situation, but then, she'll call, and I let the machine pick up.

I am a bad person. Sometimes. I guess.

Then Daughter called. She was upset about something that had happened, and I was on with her for about an hour, talking her down off an emotional roof. I think she's ok now.

All I got done from the list was getting someone to look at the car windshield wipers. I took it to the guys I trust most. Yeah, they're screwed up, more than just a belt or gear slipping. It may be a "tweak" fix, or it may require a part, they'll know better after they open the box. I have an appointment to drop the car off there Wednesday. Enterprise will pick me up at the service place Wednesday morning, and I'll have a rental car for however long it takes.

I hate when things get complicated.
.

1 comment:

Sydney said...

Wow, I loved seeing the turkey footprints -- they are clear, and I never thought that they lurked where you live, survived such terrible weather, and what they did for food when everything is under ice. I bet they will be VERY grateful for your cracked corn, if you ended up finding any.