Sunday, December 09, 2007

1585 Slip-sliding Away

Sunday, December 9, 2007

I went to a meeting tonight, to work on the by-laws. We had freezing rain, but the main roads weren't too bad at all. I had no trouble coming home until I got to my driveway.

I stopped at the end of the driveway to get the newspaper out of the tube, then backed up slightly to turn into the drive. I got about a quarter of the way up when the car stopped moving altogether. The wheels were still turning, spinning on ice, but the car wasn't going anywhere.

I stopped for a moment to think about it. What I should have done was back down the street a little to get a running start. No problem. I can back down and try again. That's when I realized I was moving. Backward. With the brakes on hard.

Ack!

I didn't slide over the bank and get rolled and deaded, and I did eventually make it up the hill. I hate winter. I hate my driveway. I don't know who laid it out with that curve next to a bank at the end. I'd love to redo it. There's no reason why it couldn't have gone straight down through the bank. A little dynamite and a jackhammer or two could solve so many problems....
.

2 comments:

Ally said...

i complain about the cold and the occasional winds - but, it is obviously a drop in the bucket compared to your weather.

i would seriously be freaked out if the car started moving like that (with brakes on) and not have control to stop the car.

happy holidays!

Kate said...

Last year I bought a big bag of that ice melt stuff. It is still in my basement, unopened. Everytime I slip and end up throwing my arms out to balance myself, I think about that bag, but I still haven't gotten around to trying it.