Monday, July 09, 2007

1363 A Story

Monday, July 9, 2007


I found this on a website I while looking for the Silken Drum story. This is different from the classic story, and was unattributed (so I don't feel bad copying it), and I like it better.


--------------------------------------


A mighty warlord, realizing that he was nearing the end of his days, urged his daughter to marry in order to carry on the dynasty.


"The green of the plum tree has come and gone, and it is the time of the blossoms." he told her, "And yet you do not blossom. Will I die without seeing you married, without knowing my grandchildren?"


"No," his daughter said, "I will fashion a drum of silk, stretched over a bamboo frame. The man who hears the music when my fingers strike the drum I will marry."


"Foolishness!" the aging warlord said in frustration. "A silken drum will not make any sound. I shall die without heirs."


But his daughter had her way, and so a drum made of silk was fashioned as she wished.


Many young men came to listen as she played, but none heard any sound.


The months and seasons passed, the plum tree blossoms withered and fell to the ground. And then a handsome young man, finely dressed, came and paid his respects to the aging ruler.


"I have traveled from beyond the mountains and over the seas to ask your daughter's hand in marriage", said the stranger, looking directly at the silent daughter who sat nearby with her silken drum.


"She will only marry the one who can hear the music of her silken drum," sighed the old man. "Don't tell me you heard the sound all the way from your distant kingdom!"


The suitor said, "No, no sound of the drum reached my ears."


"Then be on your way, like the others before you," the old man said. "Why do you linger here?"


"Because, my lord, I hear the silence."


And the young woman smiled and put away her silken drum.
.

No comments: