Sunday, July 08, 2007

1360 Avoiding 2

Sunday, July 8, 2007

[Edit - eliminated the problem. The cat can kick dirt over the poopy, but it still smells. Which reminds me - gotta clean the litter box....]

On Friday I bemoaned the fact that this journal no longer serves its original purpose. I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that people who know me are now reading it. Bec's comment has merit, but that addresses the arrows toward me. They don't bother me. She's correct that I am not very concerned about what others think of me. If I am me, and honest, and they don't like it, then why would I want them close to me anyway?

---------------------------------

Scott Adams had a post today about "Rounders" versus "Accumulators". He says that some people round things off, and some add them up. So if a Rounder has five problems in his life, each of which is a 2 on a scale of 10, then each gets rounded to 0, and if you ask how things are going, he'll say "just fine", because that's how he sees it. Whereas the Accumulator with five 2-rated problems adds them up, and sees himself as having a 10 in problems.

I am usually a Rounder.

This weekend, I am in physical pain. It makes me think of things like undetected tumors, and how long it's been since I had a physical, and diabetes, and death, and what a mess my house is, and how a couple of people are trying to guilt me into things I don't want to do, directions I don't want to go, and how another person has twice made a specific commitment to me and has twice blown it off without a word, smiled and turned away, and another runs hot and cold, and how I may have to fire The Hunk and get a landscaping company in, he's just taking too long to get the side yard done, but The Hunk is a neighbor, and can I do that, what if he gets mad, I depend on him too much, he was hurt when I gave someone else the roofing job, but just how long do I have to wait for my side yard, and so on and on. There's a lot of that kind of 2-rated annoyance going on.

Sometimes, I become a temporary Accumulator.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Don't you think women do this a lot? Someone does something nice for us but completely opposite of what we wanted, so we can't say we didn't like the job.

Stash just ruined my compost pile and put in those stupid tall paper bags to take to the recycling center. While he was mowing my lawn. Augh!!!

Becs said...

Er..PS - that "what do you care?" comment was meant to be a jaunty reference to Richard Feynmann. What it means to me is, if you start worrying about the constraints other people try to put on you, you won't have the freedom to go out and discover things for yourself. Etc.