Wednesday, May 23, 2007

1265 I don't Understand

Just a few more things that don't make sense to me.

- Police checks

Every so often the state police set up road blocks to check for drunk drivers, seat belts, registration, whatever. And every time they do it, it's heavily advertised. TV, radio, newspaper, word of mouth, everyone knows they're doing it.

Um, why tell everyone? That will ensure that anyone with half a brain will have their seat belt on THAT DAY! And the idiots driving without a lisence won't be on the road THAT DAY! What about every other day? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it with a little bit of surprise?

- The lost whales

Re the mother whale and calf "stuck" in the river. They are both rather severely injured, having deep cuts from ship propellers. I think if I were a mother whale, and my calf had an open and bleeding wound, I'd look at the options, and might also want to take my chances in a river, where I'd have to live on my reserves for a bit (which I can do better if I'm undisturbed), rather than chance the open ocean, which is FULL OF SHARKS!

- Saving gas

The news programs are telling people that to increase their miles per gallon, they should forgo air conditioning.

But doesn't that mean they will be driving at high turnpike speeds with their windows open? Didn't the experts tell us that increases drag, and LOWERS THE MPG?

What's the trade off, the comparison?

No comments: