Tuesday, July 25, 2006

819 Piper's House

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Three-hour lunch with Piper today, and I feel a little guilty about it because he has a lot of work this week. Actually, lunch wasn't that long, but on the way back he wanted to stop at his home and pick up some papers, so I finally got to see his house.

It was pretty incredible. As he's said, it's not a large house, but it looks, inside and out, like something out of a magazine. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, every plant carefully selected and in exactly the right spot, truckloads of black mulch. Split-rail fences. Wide wrap-around deck, with classy comfortable outdoor furniture.

Inside it was like something out of a magazine. Every single piece of furniture, lamps, pillows, was top of the line and obviously carefully selected. Every item on tables or shelves was individually selected and arranged for effect. The kitchen counters were not only uncluttered, but there was no sign that the kitchen was for anything but looking at - no sponge at the sink, no dishtowels, no utensils next to the stove. Same with the bathrooms - no personal grooming items in evidence. Items arranged for show. It really truly looked like it was set up for a photo spread. The bed in the master bedroom had all those fancy pillows at the top, and I couldn't help saying "Oh, come on! Nobody REALLY does that!" The house didn't look like it was for living in.

That's not how I see Piper. I suspect it's entirely his lady. I haven't met her yet, but if that's representative of her personality, I'm not sure I want to.

I also got to meet Piper's dog. It's one of those cute little wiggly long-haired pug-nosed thingies. I picked him up and got thoroughly licked. His name is the same as Roman's real name, which is a common unsophisticated name, like "George". I can't imagine anyone naming one of those doggies "George". Very strange.

Surreal, even.

----------------------------------------

I had saved at this point, then I came back and wrote more, about the locks, and phone calls, and stuff, and then my browser crashed and I lost it all. It's now 1:12 am, and I'm too tired to do it all over again. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: