Monday, July 24, 2006

818 Maritime Monday

Monday, July 24, 2006

I got a call shortly after I woke up this morning. Whoever was supposed to ride the register at the Maritime Museum today wasn't able to come in, so could I? So I did.

We had an unusual number of visitors for a Monday. There was a group of about thirty urban 15-year-olds with a bunch of adult chaperones, a family from Columbia, SA, a mother and daughter from Seattle who were collecting lighthouse visit stamps in some kind of lighthouse association "passport" book, and several other couples.

There are some displays on the grounds, but we keep the back door, the door to the docks, locked so people from the boats can't just wander in. You can get out that door, but to get back into the museum, you have to go through the gate in the fence and come back in through the front door. I looked out the window to check the gate when I first arrived, and the gate was open. I was telling people that after they finished touring the museum, they should go out that door and see the sailboats and the tug boat in the back.

So all these people were going out the back door to the fenced area. Imagine my embarrassment when I discovered that someone had closed and padlocked the gate (who? There was no one there but me), trapping everyone in the back yard. My first clue was when I heard a couple open the back door to go out, and I heard someone outside yell "Don't let the door close!" ... slam ... click ....

Note to self - find out where the padlock key is kept.

The volunteer coordinator came in to close up, and she was surprised when the cash register receipts balanced. Apparently, that's highly unusual.

No comments: