Saturday, March 10, 2012

3483 Plowing

Saturday, March 10, 2012

The meek will inherit the earth when the bold finish destroying it.
(...nothing to do with this post!)
----------------------------------------------------

The Hudson Valley Draft Horse Association will be having their spring plowing event April 28th. I used to go every second or third year. In 2010 I was in Morocco, and last year I had the kidney thing, so it's been four years since I've gone, and I've missed it. Four years ago it was very disappointing. There weren't as many teams, and they didn't seem to have as many events. I'm fussing over whether it's worth a six-hour round trip.

I love hairy-legged draft horses, especially Friesians. I love to see them work; they seem so eager and intelligent. And powerful but gentle.

I love the way there'll be proud young men with perfectly matched prancing teams decorated in gorgeous shined silver and brass, and old men with a team consisting of a old horse and a mule in cracked leather harness, and in the plowing and the pulling contests, the old men and their ragtag teams just lean into it with no fuss and DO IT, blowing everyone else away. I love the way the horses seem to know what to do without guidance. I love the way that when you look at a draft horse, he looks back, and studies you, and seems to form an opinion.

The plowing events are graded on the straightness and evenness of the furrow, and speed will break a tie. The man has both hands on the plow. It's his job to keep it in the ground. The horses/mules know all the rest.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri0f3aIIC34]

This is a Friesian, sex on the hoof!

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWlOzwfN7k&feature=related]
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I saw Bartabas (French equestrian maestro) in "Zingaro" and a Korean-themed show years ago in NYC. Zingaro took my breath away and featured a lot of Freisians and Percherons. I can't find a good clip on youtube but I know Amazon sells the DVD.