Sunday, March 04, 2012

3479 Soft spots in the concrete

Sunday, March 4, 2012

What doesn't kill us makes us bitter.
-- Chuck Lorre --

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too happy about the above green quote turning up on this particular post, but I guess that's what "random" means.

-------------------------------

Sometimes (ok, often) I wonder if I'm hard. I don't feel sadness about things like people, strangers, killed or injured in fires or tsunamis or tornados or whatever. I do contribute money or material to disaster relief when it will make a difference, to prevent further suffering, but I don't get all weepy about what's done.

However, the baby girl found in a field in Indiana, that hit me. Hard. I don't know why this particular story upset me so much, but it did. I want to DO something, but I don't know what. Like fly to Indiana immediately, and hold her, and adopt her.

Very young children orphaned in disasters do get to me. I would be less upset if they had died.

That boy in Newburgh, NY, who managed to get out of the car when his mother drove off a boat ramp into the Hudson River, killing herself and the boy's siblings, he's not that young, but no child should have to deal with that, so I wanted to swoop in and love him. But I'm not so sad about the rest of his family.

I guess I don't find death as upsetting as life with pain.
.

3 comments:

Zayrina said...

The baby has died.

~~Silk said...

I was wrong. I cried.

little red said...

Death is a very necessary and common part of life. EVERYONE dies. Everyone's parents die. Everyone's children are going to die. Everyone is going to die from something, sooner or later, good or bad, tragic or natural. I agree with you. I don't get upset when I hear of people dying. Because it's a natural and normal part of life that everyone has to accept. I even have contempt for people who go bonkers when someone dies. It's like, don't they understand that death happens? Yes, I'm even going to die some day. So will my mother. I've already accepted that fact. I don't think you're hard. Just realistic.