Sunday, March 04, 2012

3481 They are MAD!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Re healthcare: Stupidity is a pre-existing condition.
-- Bill Maher --

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw a commercial for J.C. Penny that says you can return anything, any time, for any reason, with no receipt!

Holy crap! That means you need buy one season of new clothing, then never buy clothing again! Just return the winter stuff in the spring, and the summer stuff in the fall, repeat, repeat. You'll always have new clothes, always in style, always the right size if you happen to lose or gain weight, for no more than the usual year-to-year increase in price.

JCP is crazy!

--------------------------------

It reminded me of my one short stint as a suburban housewife in St. Louis in the '70s. I knew a lot of women who considered it normal to go buy new throw pillows, rugs, vases, china, whatever, when they were having a party, and then return it all after the party. I knew one woman who changed her very expensive living room curtains every year, simply by returning them and picking out new. She figured if it was allowed, then she'd be foolish not to do it.

I don't understand.

I still think JCP is nuts, and rather than courting my patronage, they have discouraged it. I figure they're not throwing returned stuff away, that would be prohibitively expensive, it probably goes back on the sales floor, so anything I buy there is USED! ...and I don't know by whom, for what, and whether or not they had lice or roaches or bedbugs.

JCP has gone mad!
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I worked at a high end clothing store when I was in college, in the evening gown section no less. One thing I was warned about right away was that women would try to bring back dresses they had worn. Ick!

Also, we were on the lookout when, ahem, the tinkers came rolling by. Three of them would go into a dressing room and one of them would come out looking nine months preggers.

~~Silk said...

When Daughter was about 16, she stayed with Ex#2 for her last two years of high school, so she could "get to know him before leaving for college". As I'd mentioned, he rented rooms to people of questionable virtue. Daughter got friendly with one of the young women (much against my wishes, but there was little I could do about it), and they went to the malls a lot. Daughter was angry that every time they went into a store, the sales folks followed them around.

I think maybe the woman was, shall we say, "known" to the merchant community. They must distribute photos or something, because there was nothing else about her appearance that said "shoplifter". But she was very charming - which I now in my advanced age know screams "grifter".