Friday, August 20, 2010

3061 Bird

Friday, August 20, 2010

Unofficial US motto: "I got mine; screw you!"

-----------------------------

This week disappeared quickly, and the to-do list is untouched.

Tuesday (I think it was Tuesday) I called Vic, and he says the minivan is ready, except that I want the Captain to ensure that the electric door and ramp are working smoothly, because if they get stuck, the van won't move.

Tuesday evening into Wednesday I visited with The Man. We're solid for the Great Urban Race on the 28th.

Wednesday Daughter told me that the driveway is in at the new house, and they're grading for the lawn. She said she'd talked with the builder, and he said I should give him a call and come down sometime soon to check the place out and take whatever measurements I need.

Thursday I visited with Piper and his daughter, and reported on how the house is coming along and how the stock selling is going (VERY bad market. Watch things pick up as soon as I've sold everything.) Next will be to get this house in shape to sell, and just watch - the remaining shaky floor under the real estate market will fall as soon as it's ready. I'm not having a lot of luck with this whole venture, but I don't much care.

This morning the Hairless Hunk brought me a young Cedar Waxwing that had hit a window. He's old enough to have the black mask, but young enough that his belly and back still have the juvenile mottling.

At first I thought he had a broken leg, but he's sitting well now, perching on the bar in a bird cage I dug up from the basement and put on the front steps. He doesn't seem to have a problem with his wings, and has drunk some water, and eaten a bug and a few wild cherries I collected for him. The top has been off the cage so he could fly out if he wanted. It's been about 2.5 hours. I don't know why he hasn't attempted to fly yet.

In these photos he's hiding under the cherry branches.



If he hasn't flown by 3 pm (it's 1:30 now), I'm going to assume it's because he's afraid and confused and doesn't know where he is. I'll take him back to where he was downed and put him in a tree. I'm sure his family will be calling for him, and that might give him the confidence to take off.
.

1 comment:

the queen said...

Some day I want to be the lady to whom men bring injured birds.