Sunday, August 22, 2010

3062 Kill the Bush!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

"The stupid neither forgive nor forget;
the naive forgive and forget;
the wise forgive but do not forget."
-- Thomas Szasz --

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I met up with seven other people (one was a small child) at Bushkill Falls in Pennsylvania. I had to leave the house by 8 am, so I had set the alarm for 6:30, and naturally didn't sleep well all night - "Is it time yet? No." "Is it time now? No." "Did I oversleep? No." - all night long. When I woke to check at 6 am, I decided if I went back to sleep I wouldn't hear the alarm, so I gave up and got up.

Bushkill Falls has a network of groomed trails, much of which is wooden walkways attached to the sides of cliffs, and staircases up and down the steep drop of the creek. Six of our group decided to take the shorter, less strenuous, yellow trail. One of the guys and I decided to take the much longer steeper red, which was lined with warning signs: "For serious hikers only!" I don't know why. It wasn't bad at all, but after I saw all the other tourists wandering around in flip-flops and with babies and toddlers, I guess that's why.

The trail itself was not rough, but I swear we must have climbed at least 18 floors worth of staircases over the two miles, probably more. I didn't have any trouble with the going, but my knees and thighs complained mightily on the stairs. Some of the risers were much higher than was comfortable for my short legs. No pain today, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

All the pain is in my heels. My shoes had a rough patch at the top of the heel, and it ate my skin. Later in the evening I realized I could turn the heel down and wear the shoes like a scuff. That worked fine. I wish I had thought of it on the trail. I was limping from the pain of the heels rubbing, and that made the stairs even harder.

Late lunch at a ritzy resort, then to one of the women's homes for a board game and pizza. Got home just before 11 pm. A lot of driving.

What's really odd is that I wasn't tired at all. I watched the news, checked email, watched "Nightline", and then worked some crosswords in bed. I was up at 7 this morning.
.

No comments: