Saturday, June 19, 2010

2995 Do BMW's come in lemon flavor?

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Henry Louis Mencken, on Shakespeare: "After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations."

------------------------------------------------

Actually, I heard a kid say pretty much the same as the above quote, but he was absolutely serious. He'd just finished "Hamlet", and said that he didn't think Shakespeare was a very good writer, because he used an awful lot of clichés.

----------------------------

I think I may have bought a lemon.

The nearest BMW service is 40 minutes away. I was a bit concerned because that's a long way to go if something goes wrong, or for a simple oil change. But everyone said oh don't worry about that, you'll be taking it in only once a year or so.

Well, in the first week, the driver's side door speaker stopped working, and I had to take it in to get the pinched wire fixed.

In the third week, the remote trunk opener stopped working. I have to open it with the button inside the cabin. I figured I could live with that until the next visit, but now the remote trunk open button sets off the alarm. I think that means there's something more wrong than a dead remote button.

In the third week, I noticed that the anti-theft doflinkies don't seem to work consistently. I thought maybe I didn't understand how it was supposed to work, but now I think there's something wrong.

Today the big thing happened. When I started it to go to the craft fair, I got the "Service engine soon" light. This is a Very Bad Thing. The book says I can "finish my trip, but be careful [what the heck does that mean?] and don't drive fast or you can mess up the emissions control system. Get it serviced as soon as possible".

Sheesh.

Four things have gone wrong within five weeks, in a car that wasn't supposed to have any problems, ever.
.

4 comments:

the queen said...

I got the "Service engine" light in my first week. They said it just meant vapor was building up somewhere and it had to be tweaked. Like they expected it. Never had it agin.

the queen said...

Of course, you know, when you start it, the light has to come on for a second to show you it's working. Did it come on and stay on?

~~Silk said...

Yup. Stayed on. Since the book said I could "finish my trip", I went ahead and drove it to the fairgrounds. It was on again solid coming home later.

Becs said...

Yeah, I think it's time to take Hal back and demand a Dave. Srsly.