Tuesday, June 15, 2010

2987 Touchdown

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

" I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life
fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of
hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
-- Isaac Asimov --

---------------------------------------------

I am amused that the above random quote from my collection happened to come up for this entry.

I am also amused that Touchdown Jesus (a.k.a. King of Kings, that enormous 6-story torso rising out of a pond in Monroe, Ohio) was hit by lightning last night and burned down to the metal framework. Story everywhere, just search for touchdown Jesus.

[Photo credit - Morhange.]

I am amused that this was an "act of God", although I doubt Most Christians will see it that way.

Something that has always bothered me about Christianity is the way so many Christians worship Jesus, pray to Jesus. I have visions of Jesus begging God to forgive him: "I didn't mean for that to happen! I didn't mean to take your place! They did it themselves!", but God remains pissed.

I consider all those representations of Jesus, especially those in, on, or in front of churches, to be idols, graven images. An object of veneration in the place of God. If you want to represent God, plant a tree.

-------------------------------------

P.S. I do not consider myself Christian, precisely because of that. I will follow the teachings, because they were good teachings, but those teachings were meant to lead us to God, not to divert us to the teacher.

And yeah, there's the "trinity" thing. Another diversion to justify the making of the idol. Doesn't fly.
.

1 comment:

rockygrace said...

I love that quote - back when I was little and believed in God, I was scared of going to heaven, because it seemed that all people did was sit around on clouds all day. Bo-ring. Oh, and how would everybody fit?