Friday, December 25, 2009

2718 Switched Links 1

Friday, December 25, 2009

What part of “Thou shalt not kill” don’t you understand?

----------------------------

Still cleaning out saved feeds. These are all from "Switched.com", stuff I want to get back to, or keep for future reference.

Backupify Backs Up your Online Data... Online
I have stuff stored all over online - photos on Flickr, videos on YouTube, mail on Gmail, Documents on Box, and yeah, what if something happens to those services? I'll wait a while and see what others have to say about Backupify.

What's the Best Super Portable Laptop Under $500?
Switched says Toshiba's T-115, packed with two gigabytes of memory and 250 gigabytes of storage.

A Very Special Holiday E-Reader Roundup
A comparison of the various digital book readers, and of places to get digital books.

How to Really, Truly Uninstall Old Programs
I'm never sure when I uninstall something, that I got it all. Switched recommends Revo Uninstaller -- a free, easy-to-use utility that lets you fully delete whatever apps you want, as well as search out the fragments of old apps you thought you'd already deleted.

Fix That Burned-In Image on Your Plasma TV
Make snow for 15 minutes.

'Glowing' Stickers Illuminate Your Keyboard For Cheap
The original white letters gradually disappear from my keyboard, probably because I type with my fingernails. This is a place to get glowing keytop stickers, so I can find the "E", "S", and "O" again.

Man Builds Biological Virus Sculptures From Salvaged PCs
Interesting.

Kill Gmail Ads With a Few Choice Words
There is a trick that will banish the keyword ads from your e-mails forever. The advertisements are generated by looking for certain keywords in a message, but there are certain phrases that Google doesn't allow. Obscenities and violent words, if used in a certain ratio, will stop paid content from showing up in Gmail. So you sign off with, oh, say, this sentence: "I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a messy bloodbath", Google/Gmail will back off, whimpering. I wonder if it would work for Yahoo mail, too?

Bill Gates Providing Classic Physics Lectures Online
Bill Gates has secured the rights to a collection of Richard Feynman's Cornell University lectures from 1964 and will make them available over the Web, for free. Feynman's lectures are interesting and accessible.

Why Female Astronauts Never Made It to Space in the 1960s
Back when women were just tall children.

France May Regulate Photoshopped Photos
Sounds like a good idea to me. In the photo on the right, can you guess which one is the real natural person, and which is the idealized public image young people think is real? And what does it lead them to think of their own natural bodies?

If God Texted the Ten Commandments...
...what would they look like? I confess that if I didn't already know what they were supposed to say, I might not be able to figure it out.
.

No comments: