Wednesday, December 23, 2009

2714 Bored much?

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Caring for the health of others - isn’t that a moral value?

----------------------------------

Lesson for the day: If you are waiting anxiously, you are waiting with bated breath, not baited breath. "Bated", as in "abated", means "held". You are holding your breath.

Although if you had eaten cheese and breathed into a mouse hole, you might then be waiting with baited breath.

---------------------------

I forget where I found the card at left, and even after checking several Bloglines feeds I can't find it now. Forgive me if it's copyrighted, but I'm not making money on it, so it's ok, I think.

At least three readers will get the reference, for different reasons. Even if you go changing the date on him, eventually Santa will find you. And no matter what you build in the back yard, Santa knows the difference. Merry Christmas to you all.

----------------------------

The Roman Catholic church objected to the Mexico City proposition to allow same-sex marriage, labeling the proposal immoral, saying that "marriage must hold the promise of procreation."

I've heard that before, and it has always struck me as hypocritical, because the Church doesn't require fertility testing before marriage, and will happily perform a marriage involving a 60-year-old bride. Where's the "promise" there? And if you're thinking those might have a miracle, well, then it's not hypocritical to deny same-sex marriage, it's arrogant! Don't go limiting or challenging God.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Oh dear. Here I am, all narrow-minded. These are the tenets of the Church. As for people who are past child-bearing years, the hope is that there are grown children and grandchildren to welcome into the union.

It wasn't that long ago that a priest initially refused to perform a marriage for a man who was paraplegic on the grounds that the man could not father children without outside help (which is also forbidden by the Church).

As for same sex marriage, my view, politically incorrect as it is, is that a civil union provides recognition of the relationship. Without, of course, Church benediction.

the queen said...

Becs, I'm with you. Mr. W didn't have to get his second marriage annuled, since it wasnt in a church, therefore, it was a civil union. I pretty much feel I got a church wedding and a state wedding, and the state wedding was the "real" one to me.

And, hey, I didnt change the date on Santa, Mrs Wonderful did. And now it's not snowing this week at all.