Sunday, December 20, 2009

2709 '70s Beefcake Yikes!

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Illegal immigration began in 1492.

------------------------

When TV went digital, I gained a bunch of secondary stations. One of them is "Retro TV", which shows old programs all day. On Sundays, when all that's on the regular over-the-air networks is sports and sales pitches, I usually just have the radio on. Today, I went retro.

Eek! "Black Sheep Squadron" was on from 1976 to 1978. I never watched it then, didn't watch much TV at all in the '70s. I'm watching it now, and I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Robert Conrad plays Pappy Boyington. His pants are so tight they cut into his crack, have stretch pulls on the sides, and, uh, they're so thin it's obvious he's not wearing underwear. It's also obvious he "dresses to the right and down". And he's proud of it. I'd think it was a sand-stuffed sock, except that the pants are so revealing you can almost see the veins.

Then I noticed the other actors. The light-haired guy dresses to the right and up. His major bulgeage falls below, to either side of the seam.

The crotch seam on those guys cuts in so high and tight it HAS to be uncomfortable. It looks painful. The only actors who look comfortable are the older guys. I wonder how many pairs of pants wardrobe went through every week, not to mention all the retakes, from all those split seams in action shots.

Was that normal in the late '70s? Were the producers trying to attract the female audience?

It looks ridiculous.

-------------------------------

I did a little reading on Robert Conrad. Apparently he was famous for tight pants, wore them in "Wild Wild West", too, when he wasn't wearing leather pants. The camera loved his rear end - he often stood with his legs slightly apart to emphasize the dimples on the sides. (My mind is drifting - I love the dimples on The Man's backside. He has narrow hips, and high, tight, round, firm, perfect globes that slide smoothly into his thighs, with side dimples even when he's just standing straight, all in smooth shiny melted bittersweet chocolate - but at least he hides them in looser pants.)

Ahem.

Conrad says he wore tight pants "because I found out they work".

------------------------------------

Later - Hey, all you folks arriving from blacksheepone.proboards.com - my regular readers (all silent 20 or so of them) are women, and I'll bet half of them have searched for Robert Conrad photos and clips as a result of reading this. So what's got YOUR panties in a twist, uh, ruffle?
.

No comments: