Wednesday, November 11, 2009

2659 Strange Searches and a Wordle

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Don Bender, letter in Mensa Bulletin:
"It is not statistically (or logically!) valid to examine facts,
create a hypothesis that fits those facts,
and then cite those same facts as proof that the hypothesis must be true."


People do this all the time, especially gossips, and it drives me crazy!

---------------------------------

I've been getting a lot of hits from Google searches lately, which is not unusual. What is unusual is that the search arguments that are getting people here do not exist in this blog! I've never used those words. That's downright scary. The second odd thing is that suddenly I'm getting a lot of "direct" hits from Mountain View, Ca. That's where Google lives.

Anyone else seeing the same pattern? Or do I need a tinfoil hat?

------------------------------

I made a word cloud at http://www.wordle.net/ for the past few weeks of this blog:
(If you want to read the smallest words, click on the Wordle, then on the new screen, use "Ctrl" and "+" at the same time to enlarge it. "Ctrl" and "-" will reduce it. Or you can go to http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/1325217/Untitled and see it huge and clear.)

It looks like a shoeprint.

What I especially like about it is that the big words are positive in connotation (to me, anyway), and the negative words are small. I'm pleased to find that although those things are in my blog because they're in my life, they are not very important. That pleases me.

On the other hand, "Jay" has been getting smaller and smaller as time passes. That's sad.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I stopped using Google Analytics when I changed the format of my blog. It was accidental at first, but now it is on purpose. I feel like I've probably lost a lot of "regulars". I don't want to know what people search on to get to my blog.

I used to be obsessed with analytics. It's a relief not to be anymore.

~~Silk said...

Someone once said that you look at your watch not so much to find out what time it is, as what time it isn't yet. Same with the tracking. I check it not so much for who visits, as to verify that certain people aren't.