Friday, September 18, 2009

2589 Aging in classic hippie style?

Friday, September 18, 2009

Frank Pittman, MD: Infidelity isn't about whom you lie with.
It's whom you lie to.


-----------------------------

The blood test today is to determine whether the thyroid supplement I've been taking for the past seven weeks is sufficient, or needs to be increased. That's got me thinking.

Jay had severe sleep apnea. In 1993 we got the CPAP machine, and he was finally able to sleep at night. The oxygen level in his brain also went up at night. This was supposed to be good. Five years later the brain tumor appeared. The doctors said there seemed to be an old injury in the area of the tumor (probably from a childhood fall he'd had from a table to a cement floor).

For many years I've wondered, if we had never raised his brain oxygen, would the tumor not have grown? Was the sleep apnea's depressed nighttime oxygen starving the injured area? Did the apnea cure feed the tumor?

When we get older it's normal for the thyroid to slow down. The thyroid controls metabolism, so when it slows down we slow down. It's not just whole body metabolism that's slowed - it's also individual cell metabolism.

So, is it possible that the slowing of the thyroid is a natural defense against aging and cancer?

I'm not sure I want to fix this too well.

---------------------------------

I took HomeGoods' Style Scope quiz to determine my decorating style. I think my results are pretty accurate (except that I don't care for symmetrical arrangements, I find them too tense, too confining). I like antiques, carved wood, Asian fabrics and brightly painted furniture. I like Victorian clutter. I like thinking about the "life" my antiques may have had before they came to me, the people they may have known, the places they've been, the hands that did the embroidery, carved the wood, wore down the corners. New is so sterile.

Silk, you are a Bohemian Classic

You have a refined sensibility and bring a sense of history and tradition into your decor. You appreciate how symmetrical arrangements and beautiful, well-crafted pieces create a solid foundation to a room. But you like to shake up this restraint with objects and accessories that express your personality and your love of other cultures. When traveling, you seek out unique objects that reflect what you love, and you use them in a sophisticated way. You want people to feel comfortable in your home, and cozy chairs, ethnic fabrics, unique pieces, and even a little touch of quirk or humor give your house a laid-back, Bohemian flair.
You value creativity. You are stylish and fun loving, and can be an inspiration to others. You have a natural sense of drama, and you know you have to be willing to take risks—whether with colors, finishes, furniture choices, or ideas—for your home to stand out. Your home can be happy and lively and the place all of your friends want to be.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I'm global casual. Who knew?