Tuesday, July 14, 2009

2499 Morocco, I hope

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

HL Mencken: "The argument that capital punishment degrades the state is moonshine, for if that were true then it would degrade the state to send men to war... The state, in truth, is degraded in its very nature: a few butcheries cannot do it any further damage."

---------------------

I keep forgetting to mention - I'm going to Morocco in April with a Meetup.com travel group!



The $2760 package includes:
  • Round-trip air to Casablanca out of John F. Kennedy Airport;
  • Round-trip transfers upon arrival at the airport to the hotel;
  • Breakfast and Dinner daily, YUM!
  • A 9 day/8 night Imperial Cities tour;
  • Comprehensive Sightseeing;
  • 8-nights of accommodations in 4-star hotels: 1 night in Fez; 3 nights in Marrakesh; 4 nights in Casablanca (and a day in Rabat);
  • Transportation provided by deluxe air-conditioned motorcoach;
  • Services of a qualified English-speaking guide;
  • Travel insurance (Not Optional -- $150 Extra Charge)
  • Optional additional tours (Extra Charge)
At least, I hope I'm going. There were originally 9 definite yeses (all women) and about 11 maybes. I just noticed that it's dropped to 4 definites. I suspect only four of us paid the nonrefundable deposit on time. I'm starting to get nervous. Most packages like this require a minimum of 10.

When I mentioned Morocco to Piper, he said "Oooo, that's a dangerous place." Actually, it's not. Morocco has been a very US-friendly country for 200 years. He should know I wouldn't commit to that much money without doing the research.

____________________

Later note - I replaced one of the photos (I had snaggled them from the MeetUp site) because I found out that one (with all the colorful tile) was from Barcelona, not Morocco.
.

1 comment:

I am. said...

Fez is very beautiful and Rabat is very nice as well. I was a bit put off by the culture however. Moroccans are very conservative and I did not enjoy the all male atmosphere, obligatory long sleeves, and subservient women hiding in kitchens. I suffered from foot in mouth syndrome the entire time. I hope you experience will be more enjoyable than mine.