Tuesday, March 10, 2009

2301 Meet Peggy Sue

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Yesterday I went to a warehouse in East Brunswick, NJ, and bought a mannequin. Why? Just 'cause I want one. Actually, it's because I noticed that clothing displayed on a mannequin online sells for a lot more than the same thing displayed on a hanger or spread out on a bed. And mannequins are not at all as expensive as I thought they were.

The lady I got is surprisingly heavy. She comes apart at the neck, shoulders, waist, wrist, and the left leg comes off at the hip. For $12 more I got a long straight black wig.

I went in with an idea of what I wanted:
Average height
No face (smooth egg-shaped head)
Not terribly skinny (size 8-ish would be perfect)
Matte skin, so it wouldn't reflect flash through sheer fabric
White or silver or tan color, not black because I lot of what I want to sell is black

There were perhaps 50 different models in the display room, but I quickly got narrowed down to about 4, because, surprise, only a few of the mannequins were less than six feet tall. I didn't know that. No wonder clothes look good in stores! Most mannequins are tall, and super skinny. You can get them with fuller bodies, but those are special order and much more expensive.

So, my lady has a face, with brown eyes and amazing long false eyelashes. At 5'8", she's 32" x 24" x 34".

I asked the Asian saleswoman if my model had a name, and was told yes, her name is PS-G2. So, meet Peggy Sue:

.

No comments: