Saturday, February 28, 2009

2289 Second thoughts

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Yesterday I was happy that the surgeon said that nothing she'd seen or felt indicated a need for any further testing.

But.

Today I'm bothered by that, because it's not a statement that I don't have IBC. So I don't know that I don't. Know what I mean?

From the research I've done, if it's there, it's best to find it as soon as possible. The miserable survival numbers are because people let it go so long. By the time you see external indications, it's very serious.

The doctor said to contact her immediately if I have any further problem - which I am now hearing as, "if it's there, let's wait until it's more advanced." (Not that I really think she's saying that. What she thinks and says and what I hear can be quite different.)

I'm thinking now I'd prefer a biopsy followed by a negative reading.

Agh. Shoot me now.
.

4 comments:

the queen said...

But that's the situation with everyone, they just aren't as aware. Before I was diagnosed with MS, my nurse friend said, "They'll find whatever it is - you just aren't sick enough yet."

We all aren't sick enough yet.

Becs said...

Follow your instincts. Better to be a pain in the ass and be wrong.

Anonymous said...

Get the biopsy. It wont hurt...much. The worst part is waiting for the results.

Sydney said...

Sh*t. I sure hope that isn't the case.

As to the rest of the post. well described.. at least it describes almost all my experiences with doctors. What are we guessing? And to go to a new one you have to explain all over when they have no more time for you than the last. * Sigh*