Tuesday, February 24, 2009

2285 Making pictures

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Some people have photos of themselves in their blogs. Others don't. I find that after I've been following a blog a while, if there's no photo, I make up a picture in my mind of what they, their significant other, and other cast members look like.

My mind works in strange ways.

I've been visiting the blog of a woman who is now in the midst of an acrimonious divorce. I decided the soon-to-be-ex husband was tall, with dark hair and a lot of beard stubble.

Today I found a photo of him.

He's rather short and dumpy, pale, with thin curly red-blond hair and a red complexion. My immediate thought was , "Well. No wonder."

Then I realized that was a strange thought, so I thought about the thought.

I have never found blond or red-headed men attractive. I don't trust a pale man. It's worse if their hair is curly. The curlier their hair, the less attractive I find them. In fact, if their hair is very curly, I will dislike them at first sight. This is a prejudice I can't seem to get past. It makes no sense. It's not a minor preference, either. It's visceral. Maybe it's something that happened when I was very young, or in a past life or something.

It's interesting that if their hair goes gray when they get older, then they become ok, trustworthy.

My preference has always been men with dark hair, and especially if they have dark eyes. Ex#1 had curly black coffee hair and brown eyes. Jay had soft fine hair the color of a glass of soda, and his eyes were so dark you couldn't see the pupils. Both of them I lusted after at first sight.

Ex#2 was blond, with green-blue eyes. I had met and married him at a time in my life when I was "off sex", and it pleased me that he seemed to have no interest in sex either. You know, when I think back on it, I'm not sure I ever really liked him at all. I think I married him because I was sure he'd never hit me.

All the guys I've ever been good friends with, or had a heavy crush on, have been dark haired and dark eyed. (And very intelligent.)

I guess The Man is the epitome of the dark man. His eyes aren't as dark as Jay's were, and he shaves his head (but he's still dark on top). But the sight of his face thrills me. The contrast of his arm against mine makes me melt.

I wonder why I have such an intense reaction to coloring.

(Point of reference - My father had straight blond hair. He was about 5'5", powerfully built, with very fair skin that never tanned and pale winter-sky blue German eyes. My mother, 4'9", had very dark fluffy hair, and huge round dark brown Welsh eyes. If I'm looking for anything, it wouldn't be my father, but my mother. That would be a neat explanation, but it doesn't have the "feel" of truth.)
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Emma's first hubby had long, straight red hair. He was a complete jerk and moron. (Emma was blinded by lust.)

My knees go weak at guys with the Gregg Allman (circa 1977) look - long blonde hair and a fair beard with white/blonde in it. Of course, I think that's a time-travel kind of thing because now I would not trust that guy.