Saturday, January 10, 2009

2208 The eBay Necklace Dispute

Saturday, January 10, 2008

PayPal has ruled in my favor on the necklace. I got the email yesterday:
We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favor.

You have indicated that a partial refund of $31.42 USD would be satisfactory.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account privileges.

...

No further action is required by you at this time.

So, I'm waiting for the refund ("partial" because she had already refunded the shipping charges because it took her several weeks to get around to mailing it).

She currently has 130+ items listed, all "Buy-It-Now" with "Immediate Payment Required" through PayPal, so I know she has the money in her account or will as soon as she sells another item or two, and she won't be allowed to withdraw any until my claim is satisfied. So I'm waiting.

Since mailing the necklace to me, she has not responded to any of my emails, she didn't respond to the PayPal inquiries, and the phone number listed with both eBay and PayPal has been disconnected. I am unable to contact her.

Actually, I didn't want a refund so much as the four missing rings. I said that in my emails to her, and in my PayPal complaint. But now, since I'm getting a full refund, I have a moral dilemma.

I feel guilty having both the necklace and the refund. I feel like I should return the necklace, but I'm not sure the listed address for her is valid. I guess I could write to her, snail mail, and tell her that I'd like to send it back, but need to verify her address. Beyond the moral issue, I've got a feeling she's pissed, and if and when I start selling on eBay, I don't need her or her friends retaliating by doing to me what she perhaps thinks I did to her.

Opinions?
.

4 comments:

Becs said...

Try the snail mail approach. I agree, I would feel uncomfortable having both the necklace (which I didn't want) and the refund. And people on eBay can be slightly nutty, so yes, do be careful. If you don't get a satisfactory response from her, you can at least note that if she tries to harass you later.

Wondering Woman said...

All you can do is try to do the right thing. If she doesn't answer you back to verify her address then you've done your best, at that point you keep the money and the item and forget about it. I had a similar experience on Amazon, item wasn't as advertised, when I mentioned that on sellers feedback they contacted me & wanted me to change my remarks (which is a definite no-no). I wasn't mean in my remarks, I just told the truth. Anyway, it went on and on and they would not leave me alone. I finally contacted Amazon when she wouldn't quit, they refunded my money and restricted the sellers account. It would have been so easy for the seller to have advertised her item properly, but she lied. It would have been so easy for her to have given me a partial refund & I would have been content to keep the item at a lesser price, or just let my review stand and leave the transaction like it was, but she forced my hand and she lost. It was HER choice to have things go the way they did.

Christine Dempsey said...

I would attempt to return the necklace in whatever way you feel is most appropriate or effective.

FYI, I'm pretty sure eBay doesn't allow negative feedback anymore. Something I read a while ago makes me think that. I could be mistaken.

Sydney said...

I'm late on this and don't have the whole story but it seems your gut is to try to contact her by snail mail and if she doesn't respond, I agree with the above, you did your best and fugghetaboudit.