Wednesday, January 07, 2009

2199 Cup O' Fat

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Over the past few days I've come across several references to Ramen noodles. Back when I was working in the litigation lab I often had either the noodles that come in the styrofoam cup or in the rectangular package when I couldn't take the time to go out for lunch. Haven't had them in years.

So when I saw the familiar cup in a half-box in the deli today, for 79 cents, I bought one.

For the first time ever, I read the package. I was surprised at the calories and fat content. They have a lot of salt, you can taste that right off, but I'd never realized how much fat they contain. It sure doesn't show.

In 300 calories in the cup, there's 13g of fat, or 35% of the daily value (whatever that means), and 1060mg of salt (44%), for a person averaging a 2,000 calorie diet.

I average closer to 1,000 calories, so that's more like 60-65% of my fat allowance, and 75% of the salt. In one little cup. A snack.

Wow.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And didn't they used to sell for 79 cents a case? Maybe not quite. But close.

Becs said...

I used to get a 10-pack package of Top Ramen for $1.

~~Silk said...

Welcome to NY. Welcome to the only store within 3 miles. They can pretty much charge whatever they want.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that the stuff I was eating in the office in the mid-'90s was about 70 cents a pop. When I found this stuff, I was actually surprised that it was about the same price as back then.