Sunday, October 19, 2008

2076 Bits

Sunday, October 19, 2009

Daughter is 34 today. Next week, I will be 65. I have no grandchildren. I'm getting anxious.

---------------

I registered on Classmates.com a long time ago, hoping to find old classmates. I've been contacted by two college classmates, one high school classmate, and one old coworker (all male), so it hasn't been a complete bust. I have also been left contact info for another 150+ people, also all male. A few of them went to the same school I listed, but several years before or after me, so I never knew them. The vast majority are complete strangers. I don't know why they've signed my guestbook. A few of them return over and over.

Is it possible they think it's an online dating site?

-------------------------

More and more blogs from my Bloglines list are missing feed alerts, even some big ones like the Dilbert blog. Bloglines' trouble reports didn't list the problem. Either it's unique to me, or no one else has noticed. Yesterday I finally sent an email to Bloglines, telling them what I'm seeing, or more accurately not seeing. Today suddenly some, but not all, of the posts are showing up again. It looks like they've fixed something.

Very strange. Am I the only person who pointed it out to them? I can't believe that.

-------------------------

I like to read real estate magazines (those local listings you pick up at the grocery store) and online listings, especially those with interior photos or virtual tours. I'm seeing a lot of kitchens with the stove kind of stuck awkwardly in the middle of an open wall, all alone, away from any counters. It's not like the new stove was too big - there's no space in the rest of the kitchen where an old stove would have been.

That confuses me. It looks like when the kitchen was designed, they forgot there'd be a stove.

--------------------------

I have a gray sweatshirt with the smooth on the inside and the fuzz on the outside. It's meant to look inside-out. You can tell by the seams and the care label. It even applies to the writing on the chest - it's crossed hockey sticks with "Hockey" above, and "EST. 1898" on either side of the sticks - a faint impression in the fuzz, exactly as it would be if the real printing were on the other side (but there's nothing on the other side, the inside - it's a fake).

I don't wear it often beyond my house and the village, but the few times I've worn it, a few people have laughed and asked why I'm wearing it inside-out, tee hee.

The part that blows my mind is that in every case, it was a Mensan who felt moved to point out my error. (Like I needed to be told.)

And in every one of those cases, it blew my mind further that those Mensans didn't notice until I pointed it out that the writing on the chest is not mirror-image! Which it would be if it were the "inside", or backward, image.

Sigh.

Oh, while we're on Mensa, Roman did exactly what I was afraid he'd do, and dropped out of the running for the governing board as soon as he found out that there were five other candidates. So, no election again. The five remaining candidates are declared elected. I'm pissed. Especially because one of the other candidates is an idiot (an idiot who wants to be the treasurer).
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Bloglines is acting all goofy with me, too.

Chris said...

Wow, smart people sound kinda stupid;)

Happy Bday to your daughter and yourself as well!