Saturday, April 19, 2008

1770 Short Pine Country

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mohonk Mountain House



It was a very warm and beautiful day today and I was feeling lonely and restless, and rebelling against my to-do list. So I went for a drive through the short pine country.

"Short pine country" was Jay's name for the mountains. As you go up, the trees get shorter and shorter, especially the evergreens, which seems a bit excessive, because the mountains aren't really that high around here. And yet up around the Mohonk Mountain House there are actual dwarf pines on the tops of the ridges.

I visited a lot of places that Jay and I used to love, and as the afternoon wore on, I missed him more and more. It's been 7.5 years, and I still miss him. I thought about my current man, and I missed him today too, I had hoped we could get together this weekend, but it was a brief and passing thought because I know he doesn't feel the same as Jay did and I do about the mountains and woods and streams and lakes and falls, and that's where I was today. The new man doesn't fit there. Jay does. Did.

I miss sharing my favorite things with him.

On the way home I decided to stop at a diner Jay and I had frequented. We called it "The Purple Palace", because the decor was a dusty purplish pink and chrome. That's not its real name, but everyone we ever mentioned it to knew exactly where we meant. They had the best Greek salad in the area. I haven't been there in ages.

It changed. I don't know when. It's now red and gray, with less chrome, and I didn't see Greek salad on the menu. It kind of pushed it home again that Jay is gone.

Yeah, I'm a bit down today, and I'm not sure why.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hugs. 'nough said.