Tuesday, April 15, 2008

1763 Bits

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Andy Rooney: "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."

-------------------------

At the 1994 Cambridge Mensa Annual Gathering, the now-defunct Creative Mischief group did a re-enactment of the Boston Tea Party. They dressed themselves in trash bags filled with leaves and jumped into the Charles River.

-------------------------

Tax day. I haven't heard from The Angel or Piper. I assume my taxes will be filed, but they haven't called me to sign anything, which is probably ok if they're filing electronically, but they haven't called me to review anything either, which is not ok, even if they are filing electronically. I'm not going to call though. I'm sure they'll be getting a lot of calls today. I'm concerned, but not upset. Whatever happens, it'll be ok, or they'll fix it. Or else.

-------------------------

I was shopping for tweezers in the pharmacy, and found some right next to the false glue-on fingernails. I happened to notice that several of the packages of nails looked odd - they had a foot on the box instead of a hand. False toenails! I can't believe it! How demented are we?

--------------------------

A friend has expressed surprise that I'm using the GPS, since he knows that I like to wander back roads trying to get lost, and then enjoy finding my way home again. I'm very good at it. I don't navigate by roads. I use topography and a compass (actually, the sun). I know there's a river here, and mountains there, and a ridge over here, and the relationship of the main roads to those features, and so I have a fair idea where I am all the time.

I went for a drive this afternoon, took some roads I'd never been on before. The GPS was on, but since I hadn't set a destination, it was just tracking me. At one point I looked up at it, and was amused to find the little car traveling through a solid white field. No roads indicated.

I got the GPS lost! (Giggle.)
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Taxes? April 15th? Bah!

I get my GPS lost regularly and intentionally, just to hear her beg me to "make a legal U-turn when possible".